Monday, June 2, 2014

PUT A CAP ON SODA



How do you feel about soda?  For my family it's occasionally in our house as a treat.   I don't ban it, I buy it on occasions for sleepovers, eating out, movie night.   My kids don't crave it and neither do I.  With that being said, how do you feel about lawmakers trying to control what we put into our mouths, or the mouths of our children? As parents, isn't that our responsibility? 

This week public health officials from Boston, California, New York and other state and local jurisdictions nationwide are meeting in Washington, DC for the 2nd National Soda Summit.  This comes just after the California Senate passed legislation to place warning labels on soda and other sugary drinks.

I'm pretty sure most of us know soda contains sugar, and lots of it.  Will warning labels really deter a 15 year old from placing 4 quarters into a vending machine?  Probably not.
I get we have a huge problem with obesity and diabetes in America, but are warning labels on soft drinks the answer? 

For two days starting Wednesday June 4th, researchers, physicians, nutritionists and other health experts will share information and strategies on how to effect policy change on local and national levels.  I wonder if there will be any discussion about common sense? Everything in moderation?
Self control? 

So what do you think?  I know my blog readers are highly educated and I'm very curious to hear your thoughts about putting a cap on soda. 

Here is a link to:
 Center for Science in the Public Interest
They oftentimes have interesting research regarding hot topics including the Soda Summit.

No comments:

Post a Comment