Saturday, March 22, 2014

Daughters...

Daughters..

     On another cold, windy, wintery morning (even though, for the record it's Spring) my daughter made the treck out to Wellesley, Ma as I ran for miles and miles and what seemed like more miles, 13 miles to be exact.
     Every Saturday morning my TEAM in training for the Boston Marathon meets early in the morning to run together for hours at a time.  We have wonderful volunteers who are out in the cold filling up water cups, replenishing snacks for us as we stop by to "refuel."  Those volunteers are usually the spouses of runners.  Today, my daughter came out to volunteer.
     Our alarms went off at 6:00am, and without hesitation, Caty got up, washed up, dressed and was ready to hit the road with me. What normally is a long ride by myself, was suddenly too short with Caty.  I wish I could have kept driving.  Sometimes as parents we don't often get more than a fleeting moment with our kids, so on those rare occasions when our children are a "captive" audience,  it's the best time to learn about school, their friends, what they're feeling and best of all, just how cool they really are!  
     As I was approaching mile 4 I saw her in the distance at the water stop.  She was bundled up in someone's purple blanket, clearly freezing!  Of course she didn't wear gloves or a warm jacket (because I asked her too)  but instead of rolling her eyes or giving me that "look"  this is the look I got.  A warm smile and I had to capture it.
     As a parent you never really know what your children think of you.  But I saw a tweet she posted this morning:

    Tweet:   "So inspiring to hear so many survival stories from this team. So proud of my mom for running in this marathon!"

Well, I'm so proud of you too Caty. xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment