Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WHERE DO BABIES COME FROM?

                                                             

It was Sunday in May, 1984 I remember this day well.  I was graduating from High School and it was also the day my Mom asked me, "Honey, you do know that babies don't come from Stork's, right?"

I'm not sure what shocked me more, the fact my Mom thought there was a possibility I believed this to be true, or that at the age of 18 she thought I hadn't learned about the birds and the bees!

Fast forward to today.  With Twin teenagers and a very curious 9 year old I vowed not to wait until their Graduation Day to discuss, well, you know...where babies come from.  However, it's too late, at least for my Teens.  They learned a few years ago during "Health" class at school and unfortunately in more graphic detail from their friends and social media.

As a Parent, you always want to be the one to tell your children those important lessons so they're not hearing it first from their friends or from a very clinical Health class...or so, you want to believe you want to be "that" parent who feels that way.   But I have to admit, deep down, I'm kind of glad I didn't have to explain it to my teens!  Does that make me a bad parent? No, just a relieved one.

So, how did I find out my teens knew about the birds and the bees?  I asked them, "Guys, you do know that babies don't come from Stork's, right?"  OMG.   The words spilled out of my mouth, I couldn't stop myself.  I suddenly realized I was as chicken as my Mom!  

For the record, they were 13 when I asked them this question and thank God they responded, 'Yes Mom, we know where babies come from.' 

As for my 9 year old?  I've got 3 more years until he has Health in school.  Until then? Deny, Deny, Deny.

No comments:

Post a Comment