Tuesday, February 11, 2014

SELLING YOURSELF

No, no, no...nothing like that!  I'm talking about selling your "online" self in a dating profile.  In my previous blog For Singles Only I showed you examples of what not to write.  If your search for love online has proven unsuccessful it may have more to do with what your profile and not you!  That's great news because we can easily change your profile!



WHERE TO START:

Get yourself right out there.  Who are you?  For example, we know you're single, so don't start with...I'm a single Mom (Dad).  I think the assumption is, you are single!   If you want to get it right out there that you are a parent, then a better way to begin your profile is, "I'm a Mom of 2 young children"  "I'm a Dad of Teens..."  "I have 1 great kid..."  This allows the person checking you out to know right off the bat that your a parent.  If that doesn't bother them they'll keep reading, if they don't want to date someone with kids, they'll move on.




Speaking from Experience:  
My online profile ( a couple of years ago) started off by getting right to the point.  "I'm a Mom of 3 children under the age of 13, so if this makes you want to run for the hills, be my guest.  If this doesn't bother you, then read on."    It worked.  I got numerous comments from guys who appreciated my forwardness, and they got my sense of humor, btw, feel free to use my line!

So back to getting yourself out there...Who are you?  After you've established you are a parent or not, tell me a little bit about you.  Here are some great examples I found on an online dating site:

For the Guys:
"I am the father of three wonderful children (18, 16, and 16). One in college, one in boarding school and one who splits his time between his mother and me. Their lives and my light work schedule, give me plenty of time for fun. In the summer, I golf, fish and love cookouts..."


"All around good guy who loves his kids, works hard to make other people's lives better, and enjoy life. Pretty simple really. I'm a busy tech startup founder looking to truly change the world..."

"I am a sitting here having a beer while watching the olympics thinking how I would describe myself and it basically comes down to this. I am a very easy going fun loving guy who enjoys the simple pleasures in life. I love to laugh and can be laughed at... all in good fun of course...

For the Girls:

"I am open minded, thoughtful and always try to do the right thing. I am also disorganized, a procrastinator, and probably too straightforward, but to counter those annoying traits I am reliable, cheerful, and drama averse..."

"In a nutshell, I live a pretty happy and fulfilling life. I do my best to balance work-life, home-life (2 daughters) and play-life, and live life to the fullest. I practice yoga regularly to try and stay young physically and mentally. I spend a lot of time on the shore in the summer..."

"I teach writing (poetry, fiction and expository writing) at a local college. I am a poet/writer, have two kids, am making it through the years in the burbs, though deep down my heart belongs in Cambridge ...or maybe Paris! I'm ideally looking for someone to share my life with..."

What works with these profiles is that they are personal.  They didn't just list words like; I'm passionate, creative, fun to be with, happy, caring...Instead they all described how they are passionate and creative without just randomly listing adjectives to describe themselves. 

Keep it Short.

No one likes someone who rambles on and on and on.  Get to the point.

Be Honest.

If you say you're training for a marathon, you better be training for a marathon.  If you say you love the outdoors, be ready to go rock climbing.  If you say you love to travel, be ready to tell stories of where you've been, and I don't mean within the state you live.  Bottom line (see I even use this myself)  if you fib about who you are you will attract the wrong person.  If you're honest then there are no surprises.

PICTURE THIS!    

                                      That's Me! This was my profile picture, I wanted it to be
                                                  different than all the rest...it worked!

What will get their attention to read your profile?  A selfie?  Please, no!  Check in tomorrow for examples of do's and dont's!  I used this as my profile...would it get your attention? xo














No comments:

Post a Comment