Monday, January 6, 2014

Baby it's Cold out there!

Right now it's 54 degrees, but in a few hours temperatures will be plummeting!  Be prepared!


FOR YOUR CAR 
 
 
Here's an interesting tidbit I learned today!  I was driving and my SUV was vibrating, of course I immediately thought I was about to face hundreds of dollars of repairs.  I called my mechanic (Cerrone GMC) and I learned I was one of dozens of calls this morning complaining about the same thing!  Guess what!?  Turns out all that snow and ice we had over the weekend was building up around my tires causing my SUV to vibrate.  I was assured that after a few more miles of driving and the mild tempertures the vibrating will stop.  It did.  Thank God no $$$ out of my pocket, love FREE advice.
 
 
TOP 10 THINGS YOU SHOULD HAVE IN YOUR CAR:
 
EMERGENCY KIT:
 

Cool photo from "How Stuff Works"
 

Ok, let's get shopping, whether for supplies you already have in your home or what you can find at Target, Ocean State Job Lot...any discount retailer will have these things:

-Washer Fluid
-Ice Scraper
-Flashlights
-Flares
-Kitty Litter (in case you get stuck, sprinkle some behind and in front of your wheel)
-Extra gloves, blankets, hand/foot warmers, Coat, Boots
-Water (for you)
-Train Mix (for you if you get stuck)
-Phone Charger, PLEASE DON'T FORGET THIS!


FOR YOUR SAFETY


Wear Layers. 

If you must go outside, know the right way to bundle up!

1.  The layer closest to your skin should be either wool or synthetic material, NOT COTTON. Cotton may feel good at the beginning, but it does a bad job of keeping moisture off your skin.

2. Next layer, Sweater or Fleece, again NOT COTTON.

3. Lastly, a coat, ideally one that is waterproof and insulated.


Frost Bite:


Depending on the temperature and wind chill, frostbite can happen within minutes.

The First Signs:

Prickly or Itchy sensation on your skin
Red, White, Pale or grayish-yellow that will start looking hard or waxy
Numbness, Blisters (don't pop them!)
Tell your kids the warning signs, many won't want to come in from sledding or skating!

FOR YOUR HOME:


Water Pipes can freeze/break

1.  Leave your tap water on a little bit so it's dripping continuously
2. Open your Kitchen Cabinet doors under the sink (facing an outside wall) to allow more heated air to get to the water pipes.

FOR YOUR PET
 
 
My Friends, Toby and Buddy
 
 
 For small dogs, shovel a path so they have an area to do their business. Short-haired dogs may need to wear a sweater before going outdoors. Salt spread on walkways can dry out your pet's paws. Give their paws a good wipe-down after they come inside!





No comments:

Post a Comment