Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"WAKE" UP!

2014.  I attended a wake yesterday morning.   I'm about to say something and please don't take it the wrong way, but wake's always leave me feeling...revitalized.  I can't help but think as I say my little prayer at the side of the casket just how short life is, I know that is so cliche but it is so true. In just a blink of an eye everything can end.  I started to think about how I'm living my life.  My typical day yesterday (aside from the wake) is indicative of why I need to make changes....

Monday-Thursday 5:30am, my alarm clock (the internal "mom" alarm clock) wakes me up to make sure my teenage twins are awake.
                            
5:30-6:10am I lay in bed and make lunches in my mind...6:11am realize that imagining making lunches isn't actually making lunches.  I get up, make small talk with very sleepy teens..make sure they have a key to get in the house at the end of the day (I do this because they repeatedly forget)

Get kids off to school, head to work.

After a long day I walk in the door, get frustrated that TV is on, dishes are in the sink, Caty is watching some stupid reality show, Matt is playing x-box and Jack is....somewhere.  I forgo dinner to get Jack upstairs, showered and then he begs me to read a book or snuggle or skype.  But determined to get him into bed so I can have 30 minutes of "me" time...he reluctantly crawls into bed....

9:00pm I grab dinner (which could consist of smartfood, leftovers, cereal, cheese and crackers) Twins are still doing their thing...9:45pm I crawl into bed...chat a little with my twins...and lights out.

UGH.

I'm sure what you just read is pretty much your day to.  Where and more importantly How can we make changes?  There's very little wiggle room!  We have to work!  As Moms, and probably more so as single Mom's, time management is anything but managable.  As I lie in bed trying to fall asleep my mind wanders as I try to invision how I could have made my day better...how I could have made the little time I had with my children, better.  I don't have an answer.  But as I go into 2014 I do know that things need to change...I can't change my work hours, I can't change my children's schedules, or my workouts (those are set in stone since I teach)  What I can change is my mindset.  My life is pretty good.  My children are happy.  I can pay my bills (although not much more is left at the end of the week) My children know they're loved, a lot.    Am I doing my best?  Can I do more? Probably.  But I think we all need to realize one thing, if we can lie in bed at night, knowing our children are tucked in safe and sound, the house is warm, they each got a kiss and a hug goodnight, then maybe, just maybe, we're doing ok...and the only thing we need to change is their sheets.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment