Monday, January 27, 2014

SMALL VICTORY!

One small step for Jack...one big step for Me!  I know this may not seem like a big victory for most, but for those of you (and you know who you are) you will totally understand.

For months I've been trying to get my 9 year old to do things for himself, and yes, I only have myself to blame.  I''ve got that mother martyr syndrome that gives up waiting for my kids to do what I've asked of them, and I end up doing them myself.


 -We could be sitting together on the couch and he asks me to get him ice cream, I get Jack ice cream.
 - I ask him to get dressed, he asks me to pick out his clothes. I pick out his clothes.
 - He wants to play with a friend, I call the friends mother to ask.
 -I wake him up and get him breakfast, regardless if I'm running late.

Today started off like any other day, I woke Jack up, told him I was jumping in the shower and wanted him up by the time I was done...When I got out of the shower, I walked into his room and was ready to begin my ritual of nudging him awake, blaming his sleepiness on getting to bed too late...but instead I was greeted with an empty bed. 

I went downstairs fully ready to find him snuggled under the blanket watching the Disney Channel, waiting for me to make him breakfast, but instead,  there he was, eating the breakfast he had made himself!  VICTORY.

No comments:

Post a Comment